Monday, January 23, 2012

The next book

Well, finished 'The Bones of Avalon', several days ago in fact. Did I like it? Yes, it was a good read if you like historical novels. Not one of the best I have read, the Matthew Shardlake novels by C.J. Sansom are better in my opinion. But, it was interesting. At over 500 pages I thought was a bit too long. The author tended to waffle a bit in places and I'm sure he could have told the story in 350 pages or so.

So, on to the next book. This is a crime novel by young Swedish writer Camila Lackberg. I haven't read any of her previous novels so this is a first look at her work. I'm about halfway through it and it took awhile to start to come together. There are many story threads going on at the same time and also time shifts between the present and the second world war. A description curtesy of Amazon...

'Crime writer Erica Falck is shocked to discover a Nazi medal among her late mother's possessions. Haunted by a childhood of neglect, she resolves to dig deep into her family's past and finally uncover the reasons why.

Her enquiries lead her to the home of a retired history teacher. He was among her mother's circle of friends during the Second World War but her questions are met with bizarre and evasive answers. Two days later he meets a violent death. Detective Patrik Hedström, Erica's husband, is on paternity leave but soon becomes embroiled in the murder investigation. Who would kill so ruthlessly to bury secrets so old?

Reluctantly Erica must read her mother's wartime diaries. But within the pages is a painful revelation about Erica's past. Could what little knowledge she has be enough to endanger her husband and newborn baby? The dark past is coming to light, and no one will escape the truth of how they came to be…'

I'll let you know my thoughts when I finish.

More snow over the last few days and also quite a lot of rain, still cold as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment